My mother-in-law recently shared a news article with me about decorating with books. Books are apparently the new candle. If you think about it, it’s sort of genius.
You have people over, and immediately the books that line your coffee table or mantle instantly become a talking point. “Oh, I’ve only read the first book in this series. How are the sequels?” “I didn’t know you read Dostoyevsky?!” (Who does, really?)
In my home, my books mainly hang out in their books shelves, or in drawers when the bookshelves get overloaded. I do, however, use books as decorations under my glass coffee table and under my TV stand.
Some other suggestions are to:
- Stack a pile of books and use them as a side table
- Showcase them as wall art by installing a floating bookshelf (I love this!!)
- Spread books out on a coffee table and use them as the centerpiece OR create a coffee table of out books
- Utilize any free space in built-in nooks
- Use unconventional props to show off your books
Also, you can always place books on mantles, cabinets, display cases or line them up on any flat surface and book-end them.
In looking up information about this post, I saw a picture that showed a fireplace stuffed with books! I thought that was really creative! Although if you actually live in a state where you need to use your fireplace, 100 books stuffed in your fireplace might be kind of annoying.
How do you use books as decorations in your home? In fact, I’d love to SEE your lovely book accessories! Email me photos of your lovely bookish decorating at email@example.com, and I’ll compile and post them later this week!