I did it – I watched the movie at midnight and now here’s The Hunger Games movie review!! After very little sleep and an IV of coffee, I’m excited to say that the movie. was. AWESOME!!
If you want to watch the movie with few expectations or details (which is how I prefer to go into things), wait to read my Hunger Games movie review till after you see it! Now….GO!
The Hunger Games Movie Review
Things I was Most Looking Forward to in The Hunger Games Movie:
- Katniss’ and Prim’s relationship – I hope the movie really captures how much Katniss loves her sister
- The awkward awesomeness of Haymitch – I love his craziness that’s hilarious at times
- The full on intensity of the games (especially when Katniss is being tested by the judges beforehand)
- The gaudy, overly dressed crazies in the Capitol
- Katniss’ awesome fire dress
- Seeing Jennifer Lawrence in action – please be awesome!
- Also – I hope I don’t totally hate Peeta, cuz it’s not looking good so far…
How The Hunger Games Movie Matched Up:
- First of all, Prim made me cry like crazy – she was such an sweet character. Maybe it was the venti Starbucks talking, but I thought she was a great actor to be able to bring up so much emotion like that!
- Haymitch’s character was WAY nicer and more helpful than in the books. I practically hated Haymitch in the novels. It reminded me of Snape in the Harry Potter books/movies.
- I absolutely loved Caesar’s character – he was perfect.
- Katniss’ fire dress was underwhelming to me…Cinna, wth!?
- Maybe it was because President Snow was the dad from Pride and Prejudice, but I didn’t think he was all that scary or mean. He kinda seemed nice and fatherly.
- Agh, rue!!!
- The games were really well portrayed- there were definetely some gruesome moments but it wasn’t as bad as they could have made it.
- I wish the capitol people had been more crazy, with their different skin colors and crazy facial tattoos.
- Peeta wasn’t too bad, but def not stellar
- They were true to Gale not being in the movie too much, which I thought they were going to do like crazy.
I really loved this movie! To be honest, I haven’t read the book in awhile (my full on re-read never happened), BUT I think the movie did a fairly good job of keeping things in order. They may have left out or deleted a few scenes, but none of they were a huge part of the book. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Standout characters were Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence did her THING!), Effie (freaking hilarious. “Manners!”), Rue and Prim.
The intensity of the movie is really high, and I thought they did a fantastic job representing how lethal these kids are. The forced Peeta/Katniss romance…hmmm, the jury’s still out for me on that one.
I CANNOT wait to see this again in the light of day, and I wish all of you a Happy Hunger Games! Enjoy!!