As some of you know, last week I turned 24. I know it’s not a milestone year or even that remarkable of a number, but I just wanted to share some reflections that I’ve learned over the last year. Maybe it’s because I’m still in the “post-grad” phase and am finally settling into a positive career path that I feel that I’ve come so far this year.
For me, I process things best by writing them all down and looking them over. The process is so cathartic, and I highly recommend it as a stress-reliever.
Even though I think I’m essentially the same person I’ve always been (at the core), I know I’ve done a lot of growing in the past year.
Some lessons I’ve learned:
- I can’t control everything. There are some things I have to acknowledge are out of my control. Let them go. I always feel so much better once I do.
- Tell my family and friends I love them more. You never know how many days you have left, so I need to let them know how much I appreciate them every chance I get.
- Trust God with everything; He never lets me down. ‘Nuff said.
- Drink more coffee. There’s no such thing as too much. Plus, I’m trying to reach the gold level on my Starbucks card. A girl’s got to have ambition, right?! 😉
- Be kind and compassionate to everyone- even the people who are really hard to love. This is much easier said than done, but it’s something that I think is worth living out every day.
On a more bookish note, I’ve also learned some things about my reading habits and book preferences:
- I am in love with Dystopian, Steampunk and Mythology genres. ALL of these sub-genres have rocked my socks this year, and I plan on continuing to eat them up as fast as they’re published.
- I do most of my reading right before I go to sleep. This probably explains why I have been having the weirdest dreams ever. Try reading about a robot that looks like the Queen of England before going to bed and see where your brain takes you…Yeah. It’s not pretty.
- Although I love my Kindle, I really miss the feel of physical books. I just want to squeeze them and hug them…and, ok this is getting weird now. lol
- I read waaaay slower than I thought. My book challenge goal was to read 100 books this year. It’s the 2nd week of August, and I’ve read 23. TWENTY-THREE!! Ugh! I average one a week- so what was I thinking?! I’ve read some really awesome books this year, so I guess the numbers don’t matter that much… maybe…
What you discovered about yourself or your reading habits this year?