I love sinking into a historical fiction book where the setting is exotic yet familiar…
Top 10 Books To Read If You’re In The Mood For Historical Fiction
1. The Dark Days Club– by Alison Goodman. Run, don’t walk, to buy this book. I have not fallen in love with a book like this in a long time. The Dark Days Club blends fantasy/paranormal elements in as well, and it’s extremely well-balanced.
2. Legacy of Kings– by Eleanor Herman. Not only is the setting and story unique (the teen years of Alexander the Great), but the multiple POVs make this book outstanding.
3. Grave Mercy– by Robin LaFevers. The entire His Fair Assassin series is lovely and special. This is another historical fantasy-type book.
4. The Book Thief– by Markus Zusak. If you want to feel all the things and cry your eyes out in the best way, then you must read this book.
5. A Great and Terrible Beauty– by Libba Bray. These books are a little older (2003), but they still deserve attention. I mean, what’s better than a gothic mansion/school and young girls with secrets…?
6. Vengeance Road– by Erin Bowman. I love a good Western-set story! You’ll definitely find it here: tough cowboys, killer outlaws and one girl with vengeance in her eyes.
7. Walk on Earth a Stranger– by Rae Carson. I would read anything by this author so this gold-scrying, Orgeon Trail-esque novel was right up my alley. SO GOOD.
8. Tsarina– by J. Nelle Patrick. I haven’t read many historical fiction books set in Russia during the time of the Romanovs, so Tsarina really stood out.
9. Royal Circle series– by Katherine Longshore. I specifically read Brazen, which was beyond rich in details and gloriously sumptuous.
10. Cinders and Sapphires– by Leila Rasheed. There are 3 books in the series, and it’s basically a YA version of Downton Abbey. And it’s just as deliciously dramatic as the TV series.
What are your favorite historical fiction books?