As I’ve said many, many times before, I don’t do scary books. The novels listed below are great for the mood of Halloween but are definitely not “I can’t sleep without lights on” stories.
Top 10 Non-Scary Books for Halloween
1. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer– by Michelle Hodkin. This is a psychological thriller that creeped me out, but didn’t scare me, if that makes sense. I loved all the incredible suspense and an unreliable narrator!
2. The Body Finder– by Kimberly Derting. Again, this book is more creepy than scary. There’s a murderer on the loose and only the main character can find them, of course.
3. The Naturals– by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. More murderers, more teens solving crime. I LOVE this series!!
4. Something Strange and Deadly– by Susan Dennard. A historical fiction/zombie mashup.
5. The Madman’s Daughter– by Megan Shepherd. A retelling of the Island of Dr. Moreau that’ll surprise you for sure.
6. The Raven Boys– by Maggie Stiefvater. I adore this paranormal book with some of the best writing and strongest characters ever.
7. Crimson Bound– by Rosamund Hodge. This is a dark retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, and it’s fab.
8. Daughter of Smoke and Bone– by Laini Taylor. I loved the setting and parallel world aspect of this book.
9. The Accident Season– by Moira Fowley-Doyle. This book creeped me the heck out!! All the little details added up to create something spooky and atmospheric.
10. The Nightmare Affair– by Mindee Arnett. This series is just the cutest with paranormal teens solving mysteries like a boss.
Are you a wimp like me? What non-scary Halloween books do you recommend?