I think every YA book should come with a pre-build playlist or theme song! I love knowing what music inspires authors.
Top 10 YA Books I’d Give A Theme Song
1. Second Chance Summer– Shake It Out, Florence and the Machine. This book is about new starts and final endings. I love these lyrics: “Regrets collect like old friends/Here to relive your darkest moments/I can see no way, I can see no way/And all of the ghouls come out to play.”
2. Everything, Everything– Good As New, Vacationer. This book made me think about seeing the world for the first time and experiencing new things. “I’ve got excitement spilling right over my tongue/We’re in a new place you had to bring me along/Hey, I’ve got it good, got it real good.”
3. Truthwitch– Oath, Cher Lloyd. This feels weird placing this upbeat pop song with a high fantasy novel, but the lyrics just work “Cause best friends, best friends don’t have to pretend/You need a hand, and I’m right there right beside you/You in the dark, I’ll be the bright light to guide you.”
4. Dumplin’– Roar, Katy Perry. Although a Dolly Parton song would be more ideal, I love how much character growth and development took place – “I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire/’Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me roar.”
5. The Revenge Playbook– We Used To Be Friends, The Dandy Warhols. This story was all about reunited friends, so I knew the Veronica Mars themes song would be perfect: “A long time ago, we used to be friends/But I haven’t thought of you lately at all.”
6. Vengeance Road– Demons, Imagine Dragons. This books was about revenge but it was also a really deep look into the heart of a girl who’s dad and dreams died. “When you feel my heat/Look into my eyes/It’s where my demons hide.”
7. P.S. I Still Love You– I Really Like You, Carly Rae Jepson. Ok, so the song title was perfect, but look at this – it’s totally Lara Jean: “It’s like everything you say is a sweet revelation/All I wanna do is get into your head/Yeah we could stay alone, you and me, and this temptation.”
8. Mosquitoland– Your Arms Around Me, Jens Lekman. This song is so weird but dreamy and sweet, just like this book. “From your mouth speaks your lovely voice/The softest words ever spoken/What’s broken can always be fixed/What’s fixed will always be broken.”
9. These Broken Stars– Crystallized, Young the Giant. LOVE this book and this song – space and romance and whimsy: “Crawl back to life/It’s been far too long/Crystallized/Round interstellar moons/Seed of light into your atmosphere/What’s your world like?”
10. Winter– Closing Time, Semisonic. GAHHHHHHHH! It’s over – “So gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits/I hope you have found a friend./Closing time/Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.”
What book would you give a theme song to?!