Another Tuesday, another Broke and Bookish topic! And, it’s all about books we struggled through.
Top Ten Books That Were Hard For Me To Read
1. Gone Girl– This book was definitely out of my comfort zone, but I’m so glad I read it. It was dark and suspenseful and had the best twist of all time. But, it was tough because it was really creepy and depressing.
2. Messenger of Fear– This book was also very dark, which long-time blog readers know is not my cup of tea. There was also a ton of gory violence, which I prefer to skip over mostly.
3. Salt & Storm– It was only really the ending of this book that I struggled with. It made no sense, ya’ll. NO SENSE. It’s one of those moments we’re you can’t believe something just happened and you’re in shock because it’s that awful.
4. Suspicion– I just finished reading this book and will be reviewing it next month, but the language used was…bad. It was flowery and overdone, and I struggled with getting through to the end.
5. Finnikin of the Rock– Phew, this is another tough topic type book. There’s like mass genocide plus rape plus recovery. It’s a book you should mentally prepare for going in.
6. Red Rising– Just not for me. TONS and TONS of violence and the storyline started strong then faded. I almost DNF’d but then stuck it through.
7. Salvage– This is another book that dealt with a lot of loss. I typically read more for escapism, but I do enjoy challenging myself and what I typically read. This book is a positive example of that.
8. Outlander– So another thing that is a challenge to me is sex scenes. I usually skip over them, but in Outlander it’s almost impossible. It’s a personal preference, so this book was like a mine field.
9. We Were Liars– I saw the “twist” from the beginning, so I struggled enjoying the book because I felt like I had spoiled it for myself.
10. Lovely Vicious– A disaster from start to finish. The subject matter and the style of writing were not well executed. A let down for sure.
What books did you find difficult to read?