I love this prompt because there are so many amazing YA fantasy authors that it feels like no one’s heard of!
Hop on over to The Broke and the Bookish to check out what everyone’s saying.
Top Ten Underrated Authors or Books in YA Fantasy
1. Danielle L. Jensen– Stolen Songbird was such a surprise read for me, and I have told so many people about it. If you haven’t added this to your TBR, do so NOW.
2. Elizabeth Fama– She’s written several YA fantasy books, but my favorite is her release from this year, Plus One. I fell in love with her writing, and I hope more people discover her soon.
3. Amy A. Bartol– So, I’ve been burned by indie books in the past, and was so weary about Under Different Stars. But it. blew. me. away! Some aspects were silly, but I couldn’t put it down regardless.
4. Lauren Miller– If you haven’t read anything by Lauren Miller (Free to Fall, Parallel), you need to. Because they’re both wholly original and unique books that demand to be read.
5. Mindee Arnett– The Arkwell Academy books should be required reading for all YA fantasy noobs.
6. Kasie West– Everyone knows Kasie West from her YA contemporary books, but she’s also amazing with fantasy. The Pivot Point duology is so, so, SO good.
7. Sarah Rees Brennan– The last book of her Lynburn Legacy series is in my possession and I cannot wait to start it. She’s also written The Demon’s Lexicon books.
8. Meagan Spooner– Between Skylark and These Broken Stars, I wish everyone had heard of Meagan Spooner.
9. Diana Peterfreund– All of her YA retellings are delightful. And some are even Austen-based, so SCORE.
10. Elizabeth May– I could go on forever about The Falconer. It’s just DELICIOUS. You’ll want to eat it up yourself, I guarantee it. MORE, May, MOAR.
Which authors do you wish everyone knew about already?